& this is just a blog

Friday 24 August 2018

The Wonky Wand.

I'm obsessed with making flatlays, I find the whole process from arranging, photographing to editing so cathartic. I don't know why but I love making pretty things.


Today's post is clearly about the L'oreal Unlimited mascara, or as I have so loving dubbed it the Wonky Wand mascara. As I always take products at face/packaging value lets start there. This packaging sucks, in the sense of design. It looks cheap and simply uncreative. I know that this essentially means nothing and adds no value to the quality of the mascara in the tube, but I like a bit of production value! When I buy any makeup I want to look at it and feel like it's a treat or a luxury and this says neither. In comparison to Paradise mascara in its pretty pink and rose gold packaging with its beautiful cardboard outer, this looks like the very ugly sister. In terms of looks this does not tick any of my boxes but I'm trying not to be shallow, so lets dig a little deeper. 


I know you're probably thinking, if the packaging repulsed you so badly why did you buy it? Well I'm looking past the frankly LAZY packaging because I'm so intrigued by the wand and its ability to move to a 45 degree angle. I was curious, is this a gimmick or does it actually improve mascara application. So I've used this every day for around a week to try and figure out if this wand is the way forward for the mascara market. So my first impressions were that the unique angle of the brush did seem to help get right to the root of the lashes with ease. I felt like it was easier to coat the very end lashes at both the inner and outer corner of my eye. The biggest benefit that I noticed was that it was a lot easier to apply to my left eye, I don't know why but it just felt less awkward than usual. Not that it is a daily struggle or anything but it can be difficult applying mascara to the eye that's not on the same side as your dominant hand. I usually find myself swapping the wand around a lot more to try and get into the corners on my left eye than my right. Strangely enough I didn't find myself doing that with this mascara. 


Maybe we should compare my thoughts to what L'oreal claims this mascara should do : Taken from the Boot's website
- Bendable mascara wand for precise application  - Reaches every last lash, from corner to corner - Lengthens, volumises, defines and separates lashes - Intense black finish for high-impact lashes - Longwear formula 

Well the wand is certainly bendy, so were off to a good start. As stated above I do agree that it is easier to reach the lashes on the inner and outer corner, which is why I really like this wand. I feel as if the mascara itself lengthens very well and definitely defines and separates the lashes. I do however feel that it's not a great voluminous mascara. In comparison to Paradise (which I really like hence the constant comparison) this barley adds any volume to your lashes. I really like chunky, thick lashes and I don't feel like this mascara achieves that very well. That however is personal preference and not a fault of the mascara at all. In terms of colour it's very dark just how I like it and the longevity was very good. I can suffer from transfer of mascara from my lashes to my brow bone or eyelid and I noticed none with this mascara. Most importantly I didn't get that weird crumbly thing either. 



My final verdict is that I really like the shape of the wand, what I'm not blown over by is the brush... Am I just picky... probably. This mascara is excellent if you want long separated and defined lashes. If that's your thing go for it. For me I'd prefer this if it was more of a thickening mascara with a chunky brush. Similar to that of Paradise. Basically I want paradise brush and formula with this wand. A girl can dream right?

Share:

No comments

Post a Comment

Blog Design Created by pipdig